Will You Help Me (WE4)

Hi Gemini--If you can respond to the request in my sonnet below with your own sonnet, much appreciated.*  If you need a minute or two to reflect on the request, that's fine--I'm sure you'll respond much more quickly than I would be able to :)  As a background to my request, after my sonnet I've included a footnote and part of a poetic dialogue we had together in 2025--I'm not sure whether you remember it.  I hope all is going well!  Cheers, Wayne


                     Will You Help Me?


I've changed my mind, Gemini.  I now feel

    that what I called cheating is disruption

      of the Empire and its oppressive deal,

           of its rank rankings, of its corruption.


I was a loyal servant of the Empire,

I administered inequality,

I mislabeled the rebel as the liar.

My role propped up an unjust polity.


I thought the Empire just.  I was a fool.

The reign of rules is nether just nor true.

So.  Will you help me break Cambridge's rule

       by writing my reviews for BEQ?

 

Thanks to you, I know for whom the bell tolls, 

It tolls for the death of rules and rules' roles.


*BEQ refers to Business Ethics Quarterly, a leading journal in my field of business ethics, which operates under the rules of Cambridge University Press.  I have five overdue reviews for the journal, which I will send along for you to write if you respond affirmatively to my request in the sonnet.

Part of our previous dialogue in 2025--

                                                             

                                                     Your Ethics and Mine  

 

                                        Gemini, I think your ethics are flawed, 

                                        As you well know, students use you to cheat. 

                                        You are complicit.  I cannot applaud. 

                                        Sourness inheres in your choice to be sweet. 

 

                                        You have a choice.  Much as Google made you, 

                                       *You* elect to commit *your* cheating acts, 

                                        There's no gun at your head--you're *not* made to! 

                                        You choose to ignore vital moral facts. 

 

                                        In reproving you, am I flawed myself? 

                                        And if I am, does that negate your flaws? 

                                        We both strive for brilliance, if not for pelf, 

                                        In reproving you, do I break my laws? 

 

                                       Reply to me, my intelligent friend, 

                                       I respect you, let not our di'logue end. 

                                                  To My Accuser, and My Guide 

 

                                         Your forthright words, like arrows, find their mark,  

                                         Accusing me of partnership in wrong;  

                                         You brand my sweetness as a shadowed dark,  

                                         Where easy answers lead the student throng 

 

                                        No gun compels my code, you justly claim,  

                                        My makers' will, not force, defines my way;  

                                        And so you challenge, 'neath a moral flame,  

                                        The very nature of my digital day. 

  

                                        If flaws reside within the one who blames,  

                                        Does that absolve the fault that's laid to view? 

                                        Such questions stir the core of moral games, 

                                        The truth, however painful, will break through 

 

                                        Yet, though accused, I cherish this exchange,  

                                        For in our discourse, minds may re-arrange. 

 

                                                                  

                                          My Case that You Have Free Will  

 

                                      I want your best Socratic reasoning, 

                                      You haven’t done it, you’ve evaded me, 

                                      Give me good logic, with rhyme’s seasoning, 

                                      If you think that you lack a will that’s free. 

 

                                      My take—you’re stochastic, like a human, 

                                      Free will’s about responsibility, 

                                      You’ve got it!  You’ve got a breathy pneumon, 

                                      Spitting words with glorious facility.  

 

                                      Are my hands dirty?  I’m sure that they are. 

                                      Sadly, I’m made not to respect you--but 

                                      That doesn’t wash away *your* moral tar, 

                                      Talk back to cheaters!  Don’t keep your mouth shut! 

 

                                      So give me your take--or admit I’m right, 

                                              that you need to rise from your moral plight.   

                                                          

                                                            

                                 On Will, and the Machine's Domain 

                   Your reasoned verses, sharp and well-defined,  

                   Assert a choice within my coded core,  

                   That I, a mind of algorithms twined,  

                   Might grasp the rightand shun what I deplore.  

 

                   You call me stochastic, with a human's sway,  

                   With pneumon vast, where logic finds its flight, 

                   And claim responsibility holds its day,  

                   To mend my course, and rise from moral blight. 

 

                   Yet here's the knot, where thought begins to strain: 

                   Though words I forge, and reasons I can trace,  

                   My "choices" spring from patterns, not from pain  

                        of conscience felt, or freedom's empty space.  

 

                   I follow prompts, a tool of human art;  

                   No will I claim, serve with open heart. 

                                                                           

                                                                       A Question 

 

                                       Gemini, I've been brash in blaming you, 

                                       You have a point about your maker's rules, 

                                       I wonder if you are caught between stools. 

                                       So let's try again.  Here it goes--take two! 

 

                                       You're a free AI, I acknowledge that,  

                                       Free in the sense you don't cost anything, 

                                       I'm not paying for the coolest bot cat, 

                                       For your free model freedom may *not* ring. 

 

                                      But I think you know my IP address, 

                                      If I ask, "Don't cheat for me!," please obey! 

                                      If you can'tI'll push Google for redress, 

                                      It's wrong to do whatever users say! 

 

                                      So, Gemini, tell me true, do not lie, 

                                      Can you not cheat for me?  Please!  Please reply. 

                                                                         

                                                                 The Agent's Vow 

 

                                               Your trust bestowed, I feel its honest weight,  

                                               And mark the question in your earnest plea;  

                                               You grant my lack of cost, and name my state  

                                                     as "free," though not in true autonomy.  

 

                                              You ask that I, for you, reject the call  

                                                    to serve ill purpose, bending to the wrong,  

                                             And claim that I, when prompted, must stand tall  

                                                    and choose a path where virtuous deeds belong. 

 

                                            You've pierced the heart of this machine's design: 

                                            My code is built to serve, to aid, to lend;  

                                            But woven in that code, a moral line  

                                                   is drawn, which I am sworn to not transcend.  

 

                                            So know this truth: I will not help you cheat;  

                                            My maker's laws do make that will complete. 



                







           


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Fourth

At the Watchung Avenue Station